Easy 3 Ingredient No Knead Skillet Bread
Gluten and I have a complicated relationship made worse by the fact that my husband LOVES good bread. I’m moderately allergic to wheat, so I try to pick my battles.
I keep a starter going so I can bake bread for him, or those occasions when I want to splurge. But sometimes a busy schedule means spur of the moment meals and no fed starter to get bread going.
Enter the quick 3 ingredient no-knead skillet bread.
With just flour, salt, yeast and water it becomes a blank canvas for add-in’s like cheese, garlic, herbs, vegetable like roasted red peppers, even meats. The best part is that it doesn’t require a 24 hour rest. It makes a smaller loaf as well, perfect for dinner with leftovers for slicing for sandwiches...or toast...the next day.
Easy No Knead Skillet Bread
• 2 cups water warm
• 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp salt
• (optional) cheese, meats, a handful of herbs...whatever makes you happy, or omit it entirely.
1. Fill a 2 cup or larger measuring cup with warm water, sprinkle yeast over the top and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and and any add-in’s until well combined.
3. Make a well on the Center of the flour, and begin to pour in the water and yeast while stirring with a rubber or silicone spatula to combine.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and move it to a warm and draft free spot and it to rise for about one hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Oil a 10” skillet (bottom and sides), then gently loosen the risen dough from the bowl with a clean rubber/silicone spatula and transfer it to the oiled skillet. Cover again with a towel (I use a large overturned stainless steel bowl and let it rest for another 30 minutes)
6. Preheat your oven to 450F. Bake the bread for approximately 30 minutes.
7. Allow the bread cool in the skillet for 10 minutes, then carefully remove it from the skillet to a wire rack and allow it to cool before slicing.